West Moreton Anglican College is a young College - built on the foundations of a much older Anglican School which was located in Ipswich.
St Paul’s Day School was founded shortly after the establishment of St Paul’s Church, Ipswich, in 1855. In the official history of the Church it’s noted that St Paul’s was the first brick building in Brisbane Street, Ipswich, and that the first appointed Master of St Paul’s Day School was Mr Alfred Haxeldon.
West Moreton Anglican College grew out of the vision of Reverend Canon Gavin Ott and the desire of the parishioners of St Paul’s Church to offer the families of the region a co-educational facility.
The new school was to provide a holistic and integrated philosophy of education based on a Christian way of life and in accordance with the principles and traditions of the Anglican Church of Australia.
The aim of the College, recorded in the first prospectus, was to develop balanced, fully rounded and motivated individuals who can reach their maximum potential intellectually, socially, culturally, physically and emotionally. WestMAC remains true to this aim to the present day.
In the very early planning stages, Father Ott asked Dr Hugh Bartholomeusz – a well-respected specialist in private practice in Ipswich – to become Chairman of the College’s Steering Committee.
Together, Dr Bartholomeusz and the Steering Committee manoeuvred the mountains of regulatory requirements to reach the position of appointing Mr Paul Claridge, formerly of Geelong Grammar School (Victoria), as the Foundation Principal in 1993.