The Junior School at West Moreton Anglican College is renowned for offering diverse opportunities that inspire students to discover and explore their potential. Our nurturing and innovative schooling experience promotes the intellect, skills and capabilities needed to flourish in the 21st century.
Our experienced and dedicated teachers foster a love of learning in each child by encouraging creative and critical thinking; to learn how to think clearly and rationally to question ideas and solve problems.
We recognise that children learn differently. Students who are achieving beyond their age are challenged to extend their thinking through a variety of enrichment activities. Students who require more support to reach their potential are catered for through a variety of intervention methods.
A comprehensive sports and activities program complements the academic program in the Junior School. In addition, a sequential outdoor education program develops and builds a range of outdoor skills starting in Prep and continuing throughout Years 1 to 6.
In the Junior School, students in Prep and Years 1 to 6 are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning. There is a focus on developing age-appropriate literacy and numeracy understanding; the keys to future academic success.
The Preparatory (Prep) year provides a solid foundation in numeracy and literacy, combined with play-based activities.
- The program caters for children turning five years old before 30 June during the year of enrolment.
- To provide greater opportunity for individualised instruction and support, each Prep teacher is assisted by a fulltime Prep aide.
- In Prep, students are fully integrated into the Junior School; participating in specialist lessons in Music, Health and Physical Education and Chinese.
- Students attend Chapel and Assembly on a weekly basis and are including in Interhouse activities and other special events.
Key learning areas in the Prep year include:
- Health and Physical Education (HPE)
Years 1 to 6
Years 1 to 6 in the Junior School aims to further develop each student’s social, academic and organisational skills in a supportive environment.
The Junior School curriculum at WestMAC consists of:
- Health & Physical Education (HPE)
- Information Technology
- Religious and Values Education (RAVE)
Students attend Chapel and Assembly on a weekly basis and have regular access to our Junior School Library, computer labs and Junior School Science lab.