Pastoral Counselling

The College’s belief in the total development of the child from Prep to Year 12 is supported through the Student Wellbeing provision of Counsellors who have pastoral and psycho/educational roles. The Counsellors provide a range of pastoral and specialist support to all members of the College community, including students, parents and academic and support staff.

The Counsellors aim to support those students within the scope of their expertise and seek to refer on cases where medical or specialist involvement is considered most appropriate. The Counsellors may work with an individual student or contribute as part of a support team, which may involve Heads of School, House, Year Level and/or relevant teachers. The Counsellors are available to provide parents, who may have concerns for their child, with support.

The Counselling service is able to assist in a wide range of areas. The Counsellors are, within their level of expertise, able to assist students with school-related as well as family difficulties. The Counsellors are able to provide help for a range of personal problems which may relate to changes within the family, death and loss, relationship difficulties, self-esteem and identity difficulties. The Counsellors may also assist with anger management, conflict resolution, and friendship skills. Specific short talks on a targeted area may be given to classes, year levels or sub-schools. The Counsellors are available to give support to students, staff and families. The Counsellors may also work in conjunction with external agencies involved in the welfare of a student.

Junior School

Children are referred directly to a Counsellor through the Head of Junior School. Teachers and parents are able to raise their concerns for a child with the Head of Junior School, who then discusses these concerns with the parent and where appropriate, may suggest and gain permission for the child to be assisted by a College Counsellor. In certain cases it may be considered more appropriate to seek advice from a private psychologist or medical practitioner.

Middle and Senior School

Students in Middle and Senior School have access to a Counsellor by several means. A child is able to self-refer to the Counsellors from Year 7 onwards and may do so either by speaking to the Wellbeing Centre reception staff, or making an appointment directly with a Counsellor. Heads and Deputy Heads, Heads of House, Heads of Year, teachers and parents are also able to refer students. If under these circumstances a student does not wish to accept counselling assistance, they will be offered the opportunity to see another Counsellor, or the person referring will be advised that the student did not wish to participate. Again, in some circumstances it may be the recommendation of a College Counsellor that specialist or medical assistance is sought by the parents for the student. A College Counsellor may continue to support the student within the College and may work with their outside agency in a collaborative way to assist the student.

College Counsellors:

Mrs Anita Baker

Dr Mark Taylor